The High Sec Carebear has finally moved to 0.0, Adventures with TEST awaits.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Where did all the belts go?

A long time ago, in a galaxy.......
Well, not that long really although i don't quite remember when this change went through right now.  There was a very real risk of warping to an asteroid belt and finding it empty.  You could find entire systems empty, only a few rocks left here and there, this was before the increase in high sec belt re spawn.
Miners rejoiced all over New Eden I guess, there would hardly be any competition over resources now, or rather competition didn't matter anymore.  There are many great and positive things about this, but I can't help thinking that it takes some things away from "us" as well.
Now, being a miner, and industrialist and a carebear, I should be happy about the change and not think thoughts like this at all, but where's the competition gone with this change?

There is no point in looking for "good" systems now, pockets hidden away from the pipes with good belts, private systems you spent days looking for.  These days you can just pick any old system with lots of belts, don't matter how many people mine there, the belts are back tomorrow anyway.
There are no empire wars fought over resources now, if an industrial corp is getting dec'ed these days it's most likely 100% "griefing".  That is a valid reason and tactic in it's own way, but it's a shame that we don't get the occasional war fought over actual resources and "mining rights", perhaps on somewhat more equal terms then the grief wars.

As stated above, I'm not much of a fighter, so me wanting a war might sound a little odd.  I would however be much more inclined to fighting with whatever I had against another industrial focused corporation to increase future profits or to protect a valuable system.  In the same way I'd also be more inclined to spend money on mercenaries to further the same goals.
Now, one can say that you can have all this, everything mentioned above, just move to 0.0.
I don't want to move to 0.0 right now, I like my empire life as it is at this time, I'd just like it to be a little more dynamic then it is right now.
The occasional fight over something that mattered to me would be a lot more fun then getting dec'ed by someone you can hardly fight, seeing as I have nothing to gain from fighting either there's little reason to undock at all.
Maybe we would get more "carebears" strapping guns on their ships if there were more reasons for doing it.

This could just be and most likely is wishful thinking, chances are that the state of affairs would be the same as it is now.  Stay docked, no reason to fight anyway.
Speaking from a personal point of view though, I'd be much more inclined to training for a little combat and even fighting a bit if I knew a tasty system with lots of belts where on the line.  Throwing those nasty strip miners out of my system so I could strip mine it instead would be a nice motivator.
Maybe Tyrannis and PI will bring something like this in, I'm not sure quite how the planets will work, if there's limited resources and if they're worth fighting for.
I would certainly find it more interesting if small wars broke out between industrial corporations/their Merc's for control over particularly valuable planets in a system.
It would certainly create a better contract base for High sec mercenary work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment