The High Sec Carebear has finally moved to 0.0, Adventures with TEST awaits.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Harpies in Fountain.

I'm approaching three weeks in null sec space, two of which have been with Corp 54 and CVA, and I'm still alive, still flying and can't remember last time EVE felt this good.
Life in New Eden has in many ways turned both harder and easier then ever before, null sec space does provide a set of unique challenges that a former high sec resident might not be used to.  Something as simple as going to fetch some ammo might suddenly become a very interesting trip, whereas the intell networks does actually provide a level of security one is not used to in highsec.

I did actually go on a trip for some ammo, there was nothing of the type I needed for my ratting ship in the pocket around my home base, and so I was forced to run an industrial ship several jumps through null sec.  Now that did wonders for my blood pressure.  There are fortunately these handy things called Jump Bridges installed at convenient locations and they will shave off several unwanted jumps on your trip.
The ammo run turned out all right by the way.

I've set certain rules for myself that I will follow in order to make my null sec life as painless as possible.
I won't fly bling stuff that I can't stand to loose, not that I've done much of it in the past, but definitely not now and here.
I realize that I will have to move stuff, assets, minerals, products etc. around null sec, I also realize at some point that I will loose a haul of something like that, therefore I won't load a transport with more that I can stand to loose.
I will try to have a backup ship for every main money making ship I use, so backup miner, backup ratter etc.
The possibility of loosing a ratting/mining ship is just to large to ignore and I'd hate to be stranded without something.
 Basically it comes down to common sense and not putting all your eggs in one basket.

While null sec is far more dangerous than high sec in many ways, I have the impression that it's a lot safer in general.  The intell channels keep you up to date on the movements of nearly every red/neut in the entire region, probably aided by the population density of Providence.  There aren't many empty systems in Providence, so reds/neuts are usually tracked in pretty much realtime, allowing you to keep close tabs on anything moving around close to you.  Compared to high sec this new level of intell and information does make you feel alot safer, could be a very false sense of security I guess, but by keeping an eye on the proper channels I've avoided many unpleasant encounters already.

Ok, enough of the day to day stuff.  This weekend, I've been PvP'ing, yes, so what, no big deal.  Well, considering my previous PvP experience was a few high sec wardecs and some ill fated trips to low, it was kind of a big deal for me.
Being in a null sec fleet was an entirely new experience in EVE and one that certainly gave me an appetite for more.
The fleet was advertised as a fast Harpy fleet, but seeing as I had no Harpy available at that moment, I instead jumped into an Executioner and headed out to catch up with the fleet.  We headed into a wormhole leading into Fountain and started looking for a fight.
I apologize for not having any sort of detailed account here, I'm still rather new to this whole thing and was mostly focused on following orders and not making mistakes, the kills themselves quickly vanished in a blur of activity.  Suffice to say, we killed alot of ships belonging to Fatal Ascension.
The main enemy fleet we ran into seemed to be mostly made up of FA pilots with some other CFC entities mixed in, they were flying a similar Harpy fleet to us, but we managed to kill most of their tackle and logistics and picked off damage dealers after that during an orderly withdrawal to the wormhole we came from.
I eventually got killed while venturing to close to the enemy fleet on a gate engagement, managed to warp off and self destructed my pod seeing as the enemy was between me and my way home at that point.

The evening was not over however, so upon waking up back in Providence I headed back to F-Y for another Executioner just in time to head out again.  This time it was the people still online from the Fountain fleet, in more of a "kitchen sink" setup, heading into Catch for targets of opportunity.
We found several, amongst them a T4 Loki class Strategic Cruiser, probably the shiniest thing I've ever killed.

During the course of one night, I saw more action than I've seen so far in my entire EVE career, there are actual killmails on my board and I had an unbelievable amount of fun.
So far, heading to Providence is without a doubt the best move I've done in EVE.

Fly hard, Amarr Victor.




No comments:

Post a Comment